Yes we do love a good backdrop here at Pocketful of Dreams and have previously talked about filling your space with balloons, as well as doing a Blue Peter with paper pretty. Backdrops let you add a pop of colour, a hint of fun or a splash of fabulous texture to your design scheme and always look amazing. There are things you can buy already created for you, but we like to do things our own way over here and get our hands dirty so we’re always dreaming up ways to DIY for less.
Here’s our rundown on using fabric for backdrop displays….
Ideas for creating a fabric backdrop
- Textiles are a great way of adding gorgeous glamour to the proceedings, choose luxe, heavy fabrics for a chic effect
- Or choose bold stripes or geometrics for something a little cooler
- Florals are great for adding depth and colour to a space, especially if you want to pretty it up
- Fabric trims come in all types, you can get ruffled, delicate lace, beaded, braided, gilt, fringed. You name it. I love how it’s been used in that picture up top, to create a swirly design. Clever!
- Coloured yarn, string, twine, wool, whatever takes your fancy. You can create a multitude of effects and add that much needed pop of colour to your blank canvas using coloured strings.
- If you’re after a more delicate and whimsical look then you can’t go far wrong with lace, chiffon and tulle. Just look at the clever ways it’s been used above from curtains to full on walls of fabric. Such an ethereal effect.
Where to buy
- For pure luxe and the most incredible designer fabrics then try Liberty and Designers Guild
- Abakahn has a really wide selection of fabrics that are pretty budget-friendly, but can be quite traditional in their styles
- Backstitch full of funky and colourful fabrics
- Donna Flower for vintage and retro fabrics
- Eclectic Maker a really cool selection of sophisticated, chic and funky fabrics
- The Eternal maker A huge selection of fabrics that meet all the latest trends
- My Fabric House ~ another great selection
- Saints and Pinners ~ how can they not stock cool things with a name like that?
- Spoonflower ~ huge choice of custom printed fabrics by independent designers
How to DIY
Image tags: Creative Backdrop, Wedding Backdrop, Wedding Decor Ideas, Wedding Trend, Wedding Ideas, Wedding Planner, Wedding Inspiration, Wedding Stylist